Friday, 15 June 2012

Finished Painting - 'the Shelter of TIme'


This is my most recently finished painting, 'the Shelter of Time'. It came from a photo session I did with one of the neighbour girls nearly two years ago. I shot her underneath the huge fig trees that are on our property.
Originally I wanted the piece to have a slightly ominous atmosphere. I am not sure I captured that, but I am pleased with the feeling of the tree. (if you want to see it larger, just click on it.)

I am still debating whether to use matt varnish on it. It will lessen the value differences slightly, but I prefer matt to a shinier finish for this series on wood.

I have quite a few paintings in the studio at various stages. I used to post the different stages on my blog that they went through. I enjoyed sharing those with you. But recently I discovered someone had posted one of the in-process photos on Pininterest thinking it was a finished painting. I found this embarrassing, as if I had gone to a party still wearing my slippers. So to prevent further misunderstandings, I am just posting finished paintings now.

12 comments:

Laura Farrow said...

wow, what talent. love it.

Linda said...

This is simply incredible. I love it!

Are you going to give it to the girls family? I'd be hard pressed to give it away.

Zom said...

Thanks Laura.

Linda, my artwork is one of my main forms of income so I don't give a lot of paintings away. The neighbour girls have posed for quite a few paintings, several of which my neighbours already own.

lilasvb said...

bravo, just great

cri-cri said...

wow ...wonderful this large tree and the fragile girl ...

the GyPsY said...

wonderful!! love the contrast of strength and fragility, longevity and transcendence..

susan christensen said...

Hi, Zom - i will miss seeing your process posts but understand completely. This painting is mysterious and wonderful - I say go for the matt varnish, sounds like your 'gut' speaking. xxoo, sus

Caterina Giglio said...

I know exactly what you mean, I have been rethinking my "process" photos too, for that very reason!

Zom said...

It is really interesting how both cir-cri and gypsy have picked up on the contrast. Thank you for that, it wasn't a conscious thought on my part but I see it now.

Sus, I think I will.

Caterina, have you been having the same thing happen? What a shame, I love looking at process photos. I wonder if there is some other solution.

Kel said...

great piece Zom, the themes suggested here bring to mind the words roots, heritage, but also a ripeness, ready for stepping out into life

apparently there is a way you can block images from being pinned to pinterest, i read it somewhere in my wanderings but didn't bookmark it, think there's some code or a plugin which will generate an error message if someone tries to pin it

Zom said...

Thanks Kel, great to have your insights. She is certainly at that age.

I remember something about blocking from pininterest too. I think it is something you put onto your entire blog. I am happy to have my images pinned, just not the unfinished ones! I will look into it.

Zom said...

Thanks Kel, great to have your insights. She is certainly at that age.

I remember something about blocking from pininterest too. I think it is something you put onto your entire blog. I am happy to have my images pinned, just not the unfinished ones! I will look into it.