Saturday, 30 March 2013

Changing the Direction of an Art Journal Page


Okay, the monitor lizard has nothing to do with art journal pages, but he is cute isn't he? He discovered our compost bucket Monday and even managed to get the lid off. I love the way he is hanging on with those back legs.


 And here is the art journal page. We photocopied parts of our body in my art journal class to put into our journals. But I wasn't loving this spread. It seemed kind of boring but looked almost finished. So I decided to go for a change of direction.

 I like to photocopy my art journal drawings before I add colour. That way I can use them for collage later on other pages. I might photocopy them larger, smaller or the same size - and then add colour before I glue them down.
I want my eco woman, but I also want something on the right side. Maybe these flying fish?

I colour her with art markers. I am not very adept with coptic markers, I haven't used them much - hence the lines through her top. Anyone know how I can avoid those
?

The fish turned out to be too small and not the mood that I wanted. I decided to bring in more foliage so I drew this plant, coloured it with the markers and am in the process of cutting it out.
I glued down eco-woman and brought in some interest into her clothing. Dots on her arms and I think the writing on the shirt distracts pretty well from the marker lines.


Some black outlines to make her stand out, a bit more writing and now it is finished. Adding more collage has really changed the mood of the spread; I find it much more interesting now. Often when I don't like my art journal pages, I find that if I just keep going it gets better. What do you think?

8 comments:

Alison said...

Yes definitely looks better now. I like the way the green leaves twine over the foot and the way the fingers splay out behind the woman.

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

I love it! It's so inspiring to watch your page evolve as you add each element - thanks for sharing! And p.s. The lizard is ADORABLE! I love his back feet! You are so lucky to be able to see this guy in the wild!

Zom said...

Thanks Alison.
I agree Michelle, I love our animal neighbours. "In the wild" - he is in our backyard! It is pretty wild I guess, lol.

iHanna said...

Lizard monsters like that are like fantasy to me! Thanks for sharing. Love the journal page too

Zom said...

IHanna, a few years ago there was a monitor lizard bigger than this one residing semi-permanently on our neighbour's back verandah. That guy was at maybe 7 foot long.

Susan Christensen said...

I, too, think that keeping on going is the way to turn a page you might not be that thrilled with into one that satisfies - maybe I am stubborn? -sus

Caterina Giglio said...

oh i agree, if i just keep going... and surrender ... it always gets better... I really like the way it turned out...

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Everything here is amazing.........Peace and Happy Easter! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart